Norman Church Trails – Binham Priory to Walsingham
On foot and on bicycle – Approximate distance: 5 miles
Leave the Priory, go past Buttlands Close to Front Street, turn right through the village and right again onto the Walsingham road. Turn right and then left down the road past Copse Farm etc to Walsingham.
Peter de Valognes, a wealthy Norman Baron and nephew of William the Conquerer, founded Binham Priory in 1091. The parish church has been in continuous use for over 900 years and has magnificent Norman architectural features. Visit www.binhampriory.org for more information.
In Great Walsingham turn right by the Green, down to the ford through the River Stiffkey, then bear left up St Peter’s Road. Pop into St Peter’s and look at the magnificent medieval pew ends. Continue into Little Walsingham, turn right by the modern Anglican Shrine and follow the road up to the Common Place, with the entry to the Norman Augustinian Priory (the Abbey) of The Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, founded c1061 by Richeldis de Faverches. The Abbey grounds are open daily.
There are also guided tours of Walsingham from the Tourist Information Centre. Visit www.walsinghamabbey.com for more information.