All Saints, WightonOpen dawn to dusk.
In an elevated position, overlooking the village and the Stiffkey river valley, this fine medieval church was built by the most talented stone masons and glassmakers in the country. The nave was reconstructed between 1412-1420, with work overseen by James Woderove, head mason at Norwich Cathedral, and one of the elite mason-architects of C15 England. The surviving medieval stained glass is also of great significance. After collapsing in 1965, the tower was rebuilt through the generosity of a Canadian benefactor, Mr Leeds Richardson from Ontario. Recently an ambitious, HLF-funded restoration project in celebration of the 600th anniversary of the rebuilding of the nave in 1417 was completed.
Incorrect information? Update this entry